Friday, October 26, 2007

 

Postponed

Had a talk with Bossman yesterday and since he couldn't be at my talk today, we postponed it. Since there aren't any other Fridays open the rest of the semester, I'll be giving it early in the spring. There was also talk of me possibly getting a Masters degree because he felt I didn't have enough research and data to get a PhD. Obviously I disagree and plan to blow him away next week with how much research I have actually done and convince him that I can write a quality dissertation. I will continue to work my ass off and try and get out of here with a PhD. A Masters wouldn't be the end of the world but it might be tricky trying to explain why it took me 7 years to get one. There are reasons but I don't want to get into them here, or ever, and would much rather get the degree I feel I deserve.

On a much lighter note, anyone remember the Triple Threat Challenge from this past February? Well, Aramark brought it back with a few slight changes. $5.99 buys you 3 buns, 3 6 oz. patties, any toppings you would like and a 22 oz. drink. I opted for some lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and Cherry Coke. I reused my "divide and conquer" approach and polished off the bottom bun and pattie no problem at all. Then dove into the remaining double burger. I really didn't feel gross until the last couple bites. I started tasting some of Aramark's grease but just covered that up with BBQ sauce.

They had a table set up for the "challengers". It was a lovely fall day so I opted to sit outside with my labmate who also undertook the Threat. We sit down and I see the bloke across from me is struggling. He ran head first into that wall. He has the bottom bun and at least 1 1/8 patties left. No condiments either. Rookie mistake. We snap our "before" pictures and make our way outside. The manager says she wants to snap a last bite shot, so as I'm finishing off the last couple bites of what's left, I venture back inside, take my photo-op, and see him still sitting there. His girlfriend is there for moral support and she comments that we both finished at the same time. If anyone is wondering, if I ever feel the need to eat competitively, I will do the speed events exclusively and save the gorgefest events for the skinny crazy people. Joey Chestnut, Pat Bertoletti, Sonya Thomas, Takeru Kobayashi, and Tim Janus can rest easy. I will never come close to their records. I enjoy food too much to cram 29 Waffle House waffles down my craw in 10 minutes. But because I know they're out there, pushing the limits of the human digestion system, I was extremely confident that I could defeat the Triple Threat without breaking a sweat. I watched the "Science of Eating" on the National Geographic Channel.

Maybe I wouldn't like speed eating either. You would barely have time to swallow. If you ever see a guy at the Nathan's competition putting mustard and relish and onions on his hot dogs, that will probably be me.

If you have never had the pleasure of watching an eating competition, the Krystal Square Off IV (4) is live on ESPN this Sunday, Oct. 28th at 2:30 pm Eastern. I've seen their coverage before and the announcer's are pretty bad and they have entirely too much story for an 8 minute binge-fest. Oh, and if you live in Chattanooga, TN, you can go watch it in person! Winner gets a Krystal belt and a $10,000 cash prize. 2nd gets $7500 and 3rd gets $3500.

Labels: , ,


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

NORML

View Products
Freedom is NORML

Google
Search WWW Search silonius.blogspot.com
Who Links Here