Tuesday, May 04, 2010

 

Last Woman Standing

It's been a rough year grandparent-wise.

My paternal grandfather passed a week before I was born.

Dr. Leven Savage Hazlegrove, my maternal grandfather, passed last August. He was a great man and clearly where I got my chemistry genes. He taught chemistry at Samford University for 33 years and luckily my grandmother kept copies of his masters thesis and PhD dissertation for me. He is survived by his wife, 3 daughters, 3 son-in-laws and 3 grandkids (myself, brother and cousin). I couldn't find a good online pic of him, but I'll scan a couple and get those up. More info here and here.

Mrs. Marjorie Stepleton, my paternal grandmother, passed this morning. A wonderful woman who was a proud ambassador of Albertville, Alabama wherever she went. Born, raised and lived her whole life there where raised 3 boys, survived her husband's untimely passing and prepared countless meals for her whole extended family. She was a staple at Wal-Mart where she worked the boys' section and then as a greeter. "Granny Wal-Mart" as she was lovingly known, she would introduce everyone to us like the whole town of Alberville was part of our extended family, which is really is. She was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and never fully recovered after the chemo treatments and has now joined the rest of our family in heaven. Her sister had just passed in April and now can worship and have a big family reunion in heaven (a core Christian belief, I don't think that is just Southern Baptist, it really helps with the feelings of sorrow and despair at a time like this).

Unfortunately Joan and I will not be able to make it to the service as it is the end of the semester and I have to give exams this week and early next week, but our tickets are already purchased for next Friday. We'll be going to Albertville to see her final resting place and introduce Joan to Grandpa Stepleton whose resting place is next to Grandma's.

Thanks for letting me post this. It has helped a bit. It's tough feeling like I abandoned my family by moving out here. I know that isn't true, but the thought still creeps up. We are really looking forward to spending time with my one remaining grandmother.

Labels: ,


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

NORML

View Products
Freedom is NORML

Google
Search WWW Search silonius.blogspot.com
Who Links Here