Tuesday, December 11, 2007

 

READ!

It saddens me to learn that a majority of Americans don't read books anymore. They occasionally read magazines and newspapers but books even less frequently.

Currently I'm reading Destined to Witness: Growing Up Black in Nazi Germany by Hans Jurgen Massaquoi. It was brought to my attention by Cynical Chris. I'm only 80 pages in or so but I'm really looking forward to this book. First I like hearing about historical events from different perspectives and according to Hans, there weren't many black people in 1930s Germany, which by his account helped him survive the Holocaust, which targeted not only Jews but all "non-Aryans". Second I don't have many black friends and the ones I do have didn't grow up in Nazi Germany and then travel to Africa and then to the States. Hans is the grandson of the first Liberian ambassador to Germany after WWI and his mother was a German nurse who opted to stay in Deutschland when Hans' father and grandfather fled to Liberia during the run-up to the Holocaust.

And to you wacko nutjob Holocaust deniers, yes, it's another first hand account of the Holocaust. To the wacko nutjob white supremacist Holocaust deniers, a first hand account of the Holocaust by a black man, so suck it.

Turn off the TV every once in a while. Read a book. Take a walk outside. Play cards or a board game with your family and/or friends.

Writing my dissertation is still a daunting task.

Labels: ,


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

NORML

View Products
Freedom is NORML

Google
Search WWW Search silonius.blogspot.com
Who Links Here