Thursday, August 24, 2006

 

No Bookface!

On Smoove D's sage advice, I will not be linking my blog with my Facebook account. It'll be better this way. Maybe later once I have cleaned it up from Dooceable offenses.

Happy days are here again! My local grocer has started carrying platanitos!

They are fried plantain chips that are delicious. I ate copious amounts of them while living in Santiago, Dominican Republic. I can't quite recall which brand, but the ones that Bi-Lo started carrying are the ubiquitous Goya brand. If you've never heard of Goya, I don't know what to tell you. Try paying attention next time you're in the Hispanic section of your grocery store. They're soooo good and the fact that I haven't found them yet (not that I was trying very hard, I didn't go into one Hispanic grocery store) makes them all the more delicious.

And while I have your belly craving empanadas, tamales, burritoes y Nachos BellGrande, the NY Times Direct sent me the New York Style e-mail. It covers fashion and local NY flava, the section headings are "What to Wear", "What to Buy", "Where to Go" (eat), "Entertaining", and "Only in New York". But this article is about a food fair near the Red Hook ball fields near the southeast corner of Clinton and Bay Street. (Not that I know what any of that means, but Julie might) But the various stands serve all sorts of Hispanic food with each stand flying the flag of the country that they represent. Ceviche under the Ecuadorian flag (sounds delicious)
Ceviche, the stall’s star offering, is served cold in lidded plastic containers that are fished out of ice chests in the back of the minivan parked behind the stand. There are three versions available: all-fish, all-shrimp and the “mixto,” a jumble of shrimp, octopus, squid and whitefish. Opt for the mixto.

All the ceviches brim with fresh lime juice, sweet and sour, and are seasoned aggressively with chopped cilantro, sliced green onions and strands of red onion. A spoonful of the stand’s pulpy hot sauce is enough to add fire to the whole pint serving. You can augment the already ample portion with a bag of fried plantain chips for $1 or a few spoonfuls of roasted corn kernels for free.

Definitely my kind of food. Then they have the baleadas, a Honduran soft taco type thing, and then (something hopefully I'll try once I visit my parents in their current country of residence) pupusas from El Salvador
Visiting it takes a few minutes more than most other booths because the pupusas, prepared Salvadoran-style, are made to order: a filling of your choosing — the cheese-and-jalapeño option is particularly good — is enveloped in a ball of masa, flattened into a fat disc and griddled until it is mottled and crisp on both sides and meltingly hot inside. Think of it as a cooking lesson and a chance to digest all in one. Try the hot sauce and the vinegared cabbage slaw you’ll be offered as an accompaniment.

I've always wanted to live in NYC. Probably not Manhattan, don't have that kind of cash and the other surrounding burroughs sound very nice, but maybe on the main island. But 8 million other people had the same idea as me, so I hear it's a bit crowded, but you just can't beat it. And riding scooters is becoming much more accepted and even those rolling grocery cart things are becoming hip. Maybe. Just maybe.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

NORML

View Products
Freedom is NORML

Google
Search WWW Search silonius.blogspot.com
Who Links Here