Friday, February 10, 2006

 

Shattered Dreams

J and I went out to eat Tues. Miyabi Kyoto in Greenville. It's one of those Shogun type places with the big griddle in the middle of the table and we all sit around and enjoy the (most likely) Hispanic chef putting on a great show. Fire, juggling, jokes, very enjoyable. The reason we went in the first place is J wanted some sushi. Mmmmm, that sounds good, I think I'll have that.

So we hop in Focus and drive the 40 minutes to the restaurant. It's surprisingly busy on a random Tues. night, so we have to wait about 7-10 minutes. No biggie, they have a table top Ms. Pacman/Galaga video game, so I plop in two quarters and try to press the 2 player button but the button isn't there. J can play the next quarter. I'm not super good at Ms. Pacman so I lose fairly quickly. Go to press the 1 player button again and it says we have 0 credits. Aaargh! You stole my quarter!

But around this time we're called for dinner. Go in, wait for a waitress, order, order some sushi, guy shows up, makes a lollipop and Jack from Jack in the Box out of rice, clap clap clap, but let's flashback to the ordering.

I see that extra rice is only $1.99. I like rice and I would like some extra rice, so I order it. After the rice sculpture, he's splitting up the rice around the table. Everyone gets a slab of rice. I'm sitting there thinking about how much rice that is when he plops down another slab of rice. Whoa. I'm literally sitting behind a wall of rice. I lean over to J and whisper "I didn't know it was a double order of rice." So I'm mentally already asking for a ToGo box.

I got the steak, shrimp and chicken. The shrimp was a little salty but overall a very delicious meal and I get to take home another 2-3 meals worth of "Japanese" food. Awesome. I'm full but thankfully I stopped trying to finish my mountain of food and therefore am not stupid take-me-to-the-hospital full.

So the next morning I pull out some tupperware and take about half of my leftovers to school for lunch. Extra super delicious especially after 3 straight days of turkey sandwiches. The shrimp even tastes good out of the microwave and that hardly ever happens.

Just a quick tally, there is still half of my leftovers in the fridge. After school I warm up a little more as a snack but make sure to leave enough for another lunch. I don't think much more about it after that. J and I are pretty good about not eating each other's leftovers. We can ask and usually the other will consent and let us eat the other's leftovers. Unless it's pasta leftovers. J has first dibs on all of that no matter whose it is. She's a junkie, has a problem and can't stop. It's something that we're learning to live with.

Last night I'm thinking about what I want for lunch and remember "Oooooh, I still have my leftover stir fry. Yum. I'm definitely going to eat that." And drift off into SlumberLand.

I wake up this morning. Shower, dress, play with the cats and go into the kitchen to make my lunch. I sort through our tupperware cabinet and find a suitable size. Take it over to the stove and then open up the fridge. Where's the white styrofoam box? Why isn't it in here? I turn and there it is. Empty. Nothing more than a shell. A drained vessel that once housed my nourishment.

I then notice a bowl sitting in the sink with definite leftover rice particles. J ate my rice! Without asking!

Dejected I make a turkey sandwich. Hope you're happy J.

Additional thoughts added later: The season finale (and hopefully not series finale) of Arrested Devolpment is on Fox tonight. Guess what it's up against in its time slot. The freakin' Opening Ceremonies. Didn't even give them a chance. Don't apologize to me. Apologize to Ron Howard.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

NORML

View Products
Freedom is NORML

Google
Search WWW Search silonius.blogspot.com
Who Links Here