Friday, January 13, 2006

 

The tale of the stolen hat

Back in 1994, there was a World Cup in the USA. I did not go to any of the games as I was living in the DR at the time. I had been playing soccer for around 5 years now and was quite enamored with the sport and culture of soccer(football). Both the US and Mexico made it in that year, and I was a big fan of both teams. The US for obvious reasons and Mexico because of this man, Jorge Campos

He wore flashy clothes and threw his whole body into his saves, and would occasionally make an attacking run upfield, highly entertaining player.

So my parents purchased some World Cup paraphernalia. A shirt or two, but most importantly, 2 hats. One was red with black stitching with USA 1994 on it and the other was alternating red, green, and yellow and had Mexico 1994 on it. I wore these two hats pretty much constantly. I never was a huge hat person, but I liked these alot and wore them accordingly.

Being a semi-normal 16 year old from a modest family, I rode my bike everywhere. Mostly to friends' houses cuz I didn't really go anywhere else. Maybe the store with the family, or the movies, but I digress. So one inconsequential weekday, I am returning from my friend's house. I was riding my bike and wearing some shorts (I want to say red for some reason, early 90's, don't blame me) my blue and white Samford shirt (they got to me early) and my Mexico hat.

I have a theory. If you'll go back to the colors on my Mexico hat, it looks very similar to the Cross Colours clothing line that was hugely popular in the early 90s.


So I'm riding my bike and am 2 blocks from home. I hear a motorcycle approaching from behind me. There are motorcycles and mopeds literally everywhere in the DR, so I thought nothing of it, other than "approaching traffic".

Next thing I know, a hand has reached up to the top of my head and plucked one of my favorite hats right off my noggin. Infidels! They hit the gas and I take off pedaling as fast as my well toned ;) legs would carry me. I screamed at the top of my lungs "Para!" meaning stop. They ignored my cries. I chased them at top speed down another block and then they were gone.

Tears were already welling up, but I had to put on a normal face, enough to make it home. I was in no mood to try and explain what happened. I did see a couple neighborhood kids who my brother and I hung out with a little and told them what happened. I think the moto was red. License plate? Beats me. 2 guys, average looking.

I finally trudge my way home and go to my room and immediately start bawling. Serious tears. My folks come in and console me. At least you're okay. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Very gentle and calming. We'll try and replace the hat. How? I howled. I've never ever seen another hat like that. (And to this day, I've never seen that hat anywhere.) I know, but we'll try.

Awful, heart broken. Yes big picture, pretty insignificant and much much worse could have happened, but I didn't care. Those mean men took my hat.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

NORML

View Products
Freedom is NORML

Google
Search WWW Search silonius.blogspot.com
Who Links Here