Monday, December 19, 2005

 

Llego la luz!

If you need help translating the title, there should be lots of people in this country that speak Spanish now. Go ask one of them.

The power finally came back on between 2 and 6 pm yesterday. We went down to Ruddfuckers for dinner (Fuddruckers) after work and came back home and we had power. And an empty fridge. And a cluttered living room. And a carpet in desperate need of a vacuum. And a monstrous pile of clothes.

So I did the kitchen counters and floor last night. I'll get the dishes today and J is getting the laundry cuz she's done with class and ain't doin' nuthin'. She's gonna run some errands today and clean and straighten the house. She and I are both of the opinion that it's much nicer to come home to a clean apartment as opposed to a gross apartment that you need to clean before you can relax from your trip.

It's no secret that J isn't a huge fan of my family. They're rather dull and we don't have a comfortable place to stay in Birmingham. None of my friend's have places with spare bedrooms. They're close, but still living in apartments. So we usually stay with my grandparents and they don't have cable, which makes boredom much easier to handle. So we're trying to decide when to leave. I think we should leave Thurs. and J wants to leave Friday. I think I can convince her to leave Thurs. so we're going from here to B'ham to Albertville to Orlando. Hopefully I can find a nice route through GA so that our trip is shorter, but that's probably not possible, so my next plan is to go ahead and travel 20 East to 75 South and then maybe find a back road and avoid tolls heading to Orlando.

Surprisingly, or maybe not, we only prepared one meal at home during the blackout. I boiled water with my camping stove in the bedroom and J had cheese grits and I had plain oatmeal (which is gross) but I added some brown sugar and some vanilla Nesquik and it sweetened it enough and gave it enough flavor so that it was pretty good.

Right, the Christmas party. It happened during the blackout at a friend's blacked-out apartment. We left the drinks outside because it was colder than the room temp fridge. There was TONS of food. Dill bread dip with pumpernickel bread, cream cheese/cocktail sauce/crab dip, marinated (sort of brined) shrimp, chocolate delight, our trifle, buffalo wings, chicken wings, honey baked ham, KFC and biscuits, cookies, and I think that was it. I mostly drank Stoli Vanilla (my alcohol du jour) and pineapple orange juice. And the punch. And Playboy's White Christmas shot/drink which is 1.5 oz. of Stoli Vanilla, 1 oz. of Godiva White Chocolate Liquer, 0.5 oz. of peppermint schnapps (we used Rumple Minze), very, very good.

And the House closed the year by passing an OK to start drilling in the Artic National Wildlife Refuge:
Democrats complained that they were being forced to accept ANWR drilling with their vote on military spending and hurricane relief.

Crybabies. That's how democracy works.
So
Democrats and moderate Republicans have for years blocked drilling in ANWR, and its inclusion in the defense bill exposed that bill to a possible filibuster in the Senate that can only be broken with a 60-vote majority.

whatever the hell that means. So maybe the Senate can still save our Arctic wilderness. That's gonna be some prime beach real estate once this global warming kicks in.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

NORML

View Products
Freedom is NORML

Google
Search WWW Search silonius.blogspot.com
Who Links Here