Monday, December 05, 2005

 

2 Fast and 4 Furious!

The weekend was a moderate success. Snagged a first place trophy. My first, and definitely not last, from the SC region SCCA.

I still didn't beat the Focus that beat me in June. I have several good excuses but bottom line is, he's good and that is one fast blue Focus. He beat me on street tires and I was on race rubber. Ouch. It was close. Me 37.898, him 37.787. Granted we were in different classes, but still.

Right, excuses. It was an overcast day all day long. Then, right as the 2nd group was finishing up and the 3rd group (my group) was gridding, it started raining. First just a drizzle but it was constant and it slightly got faster throughout the rest of the day. So some light rain + parking lot = greasy slippy conditions. I actually spun out on the 2nd turn of my first run. Ugly. Almost did it on the 2nd run and then remembered my FWD drift training, which consists of, once the back end comes out, countersteer and floor it. Worked like a charm, but alas, drifting is not the quickest way around a track, so of course my fastest run came when I kept the tail tucked and neatly following the front wheels. I knew it too. Once I saw that 37.898 on my 3rd run, I knew that was my fastest. I went slow enough in the slow parts and fast enough in the fast parts to put down a respectable run.

Good enough for 24th out of 80 overall raw time, and 16th PAX time. PAX is a correction factor that the SCCA uses to even out different classes so you can compare your time to those cars in higher classes. (It's kind of stupid, which is why I'm glad we use NASA classes, much more straightforward and MUCH less restrictive)

But here are the final results.

Good day, a bit wet, but we had the Chemistry EZ-Up and it kept our stuff dry.

And for people who don't have faith in compact cars, let me list what was in my Focus on the way to and from Fort Mill, SC:
*Serious EZ-Up, at least 1.5 feet square and 5 feet tall (passenger seat folded back, I also buckled it up)
*Rubbermaid bin with my jack, jack stands, other car items
*2 collapsible chairs, with footrests
*4 race tires, mounted on wheels (rims)
*My lunch and some water
*Toolbag
and I could've fit more in, not much, and maybe I could've fit a passenger in behind me, maybe.

I was proud of Focus, both racing and packing, and we both had a good weekend.

Did not go paintballing on Sunday. It rained most of Sat., some of Sun. and is still raining today, so it's postponed until Jan.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

NORML

View Products
Freedom is NORML

Google
Search WWW Search silonius.blogspot.com
Who Links Here