Monday, August 22, 2005

 

Can't you smell that smell?

I love that smell. The excitement in the air. The kids who look younger and younger every year they show up. The faculty frantically getting syllabi corrected and printed. The TAs hoping against hope for a class not full of morons.

+4 classic rock points if you got the Skynyrd song reference as the title.
+2 Martin Sheen points if you thought the words "morning" and "napalm" were going to show up somewhere.

Eric Rudolph, of ATL Olympic and abortion clinic bombing fame, is getting sentenced today to life without parole. He isn't getting the death penalty because he told them where to find 250 lbs. of stolen dynamite that he stashed in the woods in NC. Huh? So he terrorized thousands of people, gave US Olympics a terrible black eye, and killed a handful of people, injuring hundreds, and we have to pay to keep him alive? Because he told us where some buried, stolen dynamite was? Whatever. My plan is to stay out of the legal system as much as possible. So, yay system.

I almost locked myself out of the house this morning. I've done it before, just get into a hurry and put my cell in my pocket and not my keys, leave, then realize that I'm an idiot. But this morning, luckily, one of the things in my pocket was our spare key (which to my knowledge appeared from thin air, I know I never went to Ace) so I let myself back in and got my car keys and wallet. If I hadn't had that key, I would've had to wait on the Catbus, take it all the way around, walk to our apartment office (not on-site), get a key, either beg for a ride back or walk back to the Catbus stop and then go home and get my keys. And that would've killed at least 3 hours.

Helped with grad student orientation last night. It's lame and I'm fairly certain is semi-pointless, but it is a good idea, I think it lasts a little too long though. But I work it because I'm sort of supposed to, and because I always score lots of free goodies. Last night walked away with 4 t-shirts, couple drinks, and a pizza, and a couple blonde brownies. Yum.

I have an extensive T-shirt collection. The majority are free or very inexpensive. I now realize that I do this so I don't feel bad throwing the shirts away or giving them to Goodwill if they're in good condition. If I paid $20 for a shirt, it would be tough to throw it away or get pissed if it got stained (highly possible working in a chemistry lab and me liking dirt so much), but with these freebies, all I lose are emotional ties and memories. J knew someone whose grandmother made a quilt out of all their old t-shirts. Excellent idea, but I like the long continuous cycle of getting new shirts and throwing the older ones away. And there are different levels of t-shirts. Lowest of the low are the ones for working on cars. If these get real nasty, they get tossed. Next up are the dailies. These get worn everyday and will get worn until I get a real job and have to start wearing polos? suits? NOOOOOOO! And then there are the nicer t-shirts, like my Banana Republic t-shirt, that are worn sparingly everyday and are saved for nice t-shirt occasions. No idea what that is, but I know they're out there. That BR shirt was on sale. And my Gap shirts were on sale for $3 each. I think I have 3 or 4 shirts that I paid full price for. My Napster shirt, my Charlie Brown shirt (yellow with the black diagonal squiggle band), my happy mushroom shirt (which I'm giving to a friend once I'm done with it, won't fit him but I'm sure he'll figure out something to do with it), and the "I like monkeys" shirt that J got me for Christmas.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

NORML

View Products
Freedom is NORML

Google
Search WWW Search silonius.blogspot.com
Who Links Here