Wednesday, August 17, 2005

 

Bridge over troubled waters

So I got an email that a Transportation bill passed through Congress. Okay, but what pet projects were in there? I was reading The Week, which is a great magazine. Editorials from around the country and globe, news briefs from around the world, celebrity gossip, real estate, gifts for the person who has everthing (a few have been a model train in a brief case, "G" Gucci ice cubes) and a story in the back (this week is for Chimp Haven, link in the sidebar, last week was a journalists covering Rwandan refugees in 1994, another was how a deaf person can "hear" with his cochlear implant).

But it said that there were a record 6,000 pet projects attached to this bill. One of which is a $233 million bridge to an Alaskan island with 50 people. Seriously. Here is a brief overview from pacificviews.org's blog, Road to Nowhere. I heard about this last year but figured our government would catch it and not let it happen. Whoops, sorry kids, no new textbooks this year, Alaska's Rep. Don Young (R) wants a bridge for 50 people. Way to go Congress.

I like chimps. They're incredible. And it's possible to understand what they're saying to each other. I'm not sure if they have dialects but I do know that most chimp researchers can speak a little chimp. But Chimp Haven is a place for retired chimps to go and spend the rest of their lives. It's a great project and would like to thank Former President Clinton for getting this taken care of. And it only cost $30 million.

We're having lab clean-up day in lab today. It started yesterday and spilled into today. We're throwing away old vacuum pumps, old samples, and packaging things up in boxes to free up shelf space. I'm still a little caught off guard by all the empty counter space and cleanliness of everything.

And today is officially the last day of me sitting on my ass. I'm gonna clean the house up tonight, laundry, dishes, sweep the kitchen floor and mop(SwifferWet really), and make dinner in there somewhere. Gonna make some Satay Pork stirfry with bean sprouts, pea pods and onion. Should be delicious.

Oh, I also had the idea to make some sausage and cheese balls. I've only had these at southern weddings and pot-lucks. But they are basically cheese and sausage rolled into bite-sized balls and then cooked. But I have no idea what else goes into them. But if it works, maybe ESC will put the recipe up on her recipe blog. Maybe.

I MISS YOU JOAN!

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

NORML

View Products
Freedom is NORML

Google
Search WWW Search silonius.blogspot.com
Who Links Here