Friday, July 15, 2005

 

Toasty Posty

I haven't had a Pop-Tart in a while. At least 3-4 years.

During undergrad and my days in a dorm, Mountainview and yes it did, we were not allowed to have hot plates, but we had a microwave and a small fridge. But the freezer was small so any microwaveable munchies were out. So I usually had some bread, maybe meat, but mostly pb&j for snacks and when I was too lazy to go to the cafeteria, which people referred to as "the caf" which is a homonym of calf and I refuse to eat somewhere I call the calf, so I always called it "cafeteria". We also experimented with other parts of the word. Let's go eat at the "ria". Exactly that's disgusting. So cafeteria it was.

But the majority of my dorm room snackage came from Sam's. Why? Beats me. I had a membership and the idea of shopping every 1 or 2 months appealed to me. And the less I was in there, the less money I spent which was bonus. But I have made alot of food mistakes and I would like to share.

Mistake #1: NEVER buy the 3 or 5 lb bags of candy for yourself. It seriously took me 6 months to finish that goddamn bag of Mike and Ikes.

Mistake #2: NEVER buy the 5 lb tub of peanut butter. It just encourages you to put waaaaay too much peanut butter on sandwiches. But it was damn good.

Mistake #3: If you enjoy something, do NOT buy it from Sam's. I enjoyed Pop-Tarts and they're an easy snack/breakfast food item. I bought the 36 pack and was so sick of stupid Pop-Tarts that I since have stopped eating them. That and they're not healthy at all.

Mistake #4: Do NOT try and save money by buying the large vat of ranch dressing over the two-pack of HUGE ranch dressing bottles. We had that stupid thing of ranch in our fridge for a year and only used it about 3 times. It's hard to pour ranch from a vat onto a salad and not drown it.

Mistake #5: Just because it's at Sam's does not mean it's a good deal. Milk is usually cheaper elsewhere and I believe sodas are cheaper when on sale at grocery stores. But I don't really price sodas. Carbonic acid is bad and I believe causes kidney/gall stones.

Mistake #6: Don't go to Sam's unless there is at least an hour before closing time. You don't want to be rushed trying to pick out which 6 lb. bag of pasta you want to get.

Mistake #7: Don't buy the 5 lb bag of shredded mozzarella unless you have plenty of cheese heavy recipes planned. Pizza, calzones, baked ziti, lasagna, cheese toast, omelets, etc... I have thrown away too much green cheese in my life to feel good about it.

Mistake #8: For the love, stay out of the candy aisle. There's nothing there you need and everything you want. 16 PayDay? Done. 24 Twix? Gotcha covered. Tootsie Rolls? What flavor. And the list goes on and on.

The only thing we really get at Sam's now is meat, non-perishables, snacks for lunch (big box of goldfish), Red Bull (if they sold the sugar-free, which they don't), toiletries, cleaning supplies, laundry detergent. And sometimes sliced cheese and deli meats. And DVDs.

We're going down to Columbia for the weekend. Our autocross starts early and to save the waking at 6 am and then driving 2 hours, we're staying the night and then Sat. evening after naps and showers, we have a wedding shower for some friends. And then we might go out downtown somewhere. But the hotel we're at is $40/night and is quite possibly, or definitely, in the ghetto. So if I'm not here on Monday, please let someone know where I am. Thanks.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

NORML

View Products
Freedom is NORML

Google
Search WWW Search silonius.blogspot.com
Who Links Here