Friday, May 27, 2005

 

I know, I'm posting late

I went out to the Research Park this morning to do some SEM, scanning electron microscopy. Went pretty well but got one of my samples confused and have no idea what happened.

Welcome to Serra, a first time commenter, you can visit her over here and to Homeland Security, thanks for visiting and we're all law abiding nationalists over here. Go USA!

And thanks to E-Lo for a little inspiration about today's post and the importance of fire/oven safety. I don't know her story but I'm sure she'll share.

This story pertains to my mom. She's great and I love her. Happy Friday Mom! (No she doesn't read this but just in case)

When we lived in the DR (that's this country, I'm trying to avoid being found here) we had a propane stove. Worked well and fire is cool as opposed to glowing metal while still cool just can't hold a flame to fire (mmmmmm, dry sense of humor). But my mom was making cheese toast for our breakfast and since we didn't have a toaster oven and possibly the electricity went off for a while (it's a 3rd world country, don't expect electricity all the time), so she was using our gas stove.

She'd used it before many times, and since there weren't any gas lines, the stove was hooked up to a large propane tank outside. Since we turned this tank off and on, we didn't have a pilot light, so you actually had to light the stove. Yes it's a scary experience but it isn't that bad, just do it fast. But apparently my mom didn't do it fast enough, or got distracted, so she was striking the match and was bent over the oven lighting the oven with her right arm. I was standing behind her on her left. I turned around to get some juice or something and heard "WHOOSH!" and turn around quickly and see the remnants of a HUGE fireball that just rocketed out of our oven. Holy shit. That would've been awesome except for the fact that my mom's arm was directly in the path of this fireball. My mom toasted all the hair off her arm and had 1st degree burns if not 2nd. She also burned off most of her right eyebrow and some of her left. We made sure Mom was okay and went to get on the bus. Mom picked us up from school that day and had her entire right forearm in a bucket of ice and some water. It was pink and red and looked like it hurt which it did. Since there isn't really anything you can do for a burn, my mom put cream on it and dressed it in bandages and stuck through her burns. And she was thankful that I was standing where I was and not directly in front of the ball of fire.

So please, Play it safe around gas stoves. And Mom is A-OK!

Oh and DO NOT SMUGGLE HERB INTO INDONESIA!
Fury at Bali drugs verdict
Whether she did it or not, doesn't really matter anymore. But whether she did it or was framed, that really sucks. And strongly support her any attempts to bust her out of jail.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

NORML

View Products
Freedom is NORML

Google
Search WWW Search silonius.blogspot.com
Who Links Here