Tuesday, March 08, 2005

 

Efficiency

Hmmm, don't know what to write about today. I was gonna finish my thoughts on the european/american car markets and might do that later today.

The parentals sent Joan and I an email basically explaining that our marriage was going to fail because we lived together before we are married. Don't really know what to say to that. But I know they just want what is best for me and it isn't up to them but it's nice to know their input.

This is the link that they sent us and my dad quoted one passage:
“One study that you may find interesting was done by Bennett, Blan, and Bloom (American Sociological Review, 1988, Vol 53: 127-138) entitled, "Commitment and the Modern Union: Assessing the Link Between Premarital Cohabitation and Subsequent Marital Stability."

“The point made by the authors is that, overall, the risk of divorce after living together is 80% higher than the risk of divorce after not living together, which is already too high. In other words, those who live together before marriage are almost twice as likely to divorce than those who did not live together. But they also point out that the risk of divorce is even higher if you don't live together more than three years prior to marriage. The longer you live together prior to marriage, the less the risk of divorce until after 8 years of living together, when the risk of divorce is equal to those who have not lived together. “

So basically now we have to postpone our marriage even longer to reach that 8 year goal and even out our chance of divorce. Thanks Dad!

But I see us as married now anyway, so all of this is just a weird foray into some strange realm of parenting. But I think it's time for a little sit down with the parents and tell them that I'm out of the nest now and while I know that they don't mean to be hurtful, Joan is confused by their comments and concerns that appear out of nowhere. (This was just a random email sent by the folks.)

I haven't read through those articles yet, but I want to just to see if they propose a reason as to why the chances of divorce are that much higher. It seems strange to me, but I'm not a sociologist, so hopefully they have some clues. Not that I believe in statistics or that what happened to others will happen to me but it's good to stay informed.

I'm on the election committee for the graduate student senate so I have to go count some votes.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

NORML

View Products
Freedom is NORML

Google
Search WWW Search silonius.blogspot.com
Who Links Here