Wednesday, January 12, 2005

 

Homecoming

Saw this on the ol' CNN.com

  • Bob Marley to be moved to Ethiopia

  • Apparently the last emperor of Ethiopia, Haile Selassie, gave some land to the Rastafarians, 250 kilometers (155 miles) south of Addis Ababa. Marley was a devout Rastafarian and since his spiritual home is there and not Jamaica, his body will be moved next month. He would've turned 60 on Feb. 6. He died of cancer in 1981. And there will be a benefit concert to raise money for the poor families in Ethiopia.

    I am really glad that some of my favorite bloggers came back and posted some. And I'll need to move Crash's blog link out of the dead blog section. He said that a publisher contacted him about, I assume, publishing his stories, but that it would've taken lots of editing which costs money, so they put the idea on hold and now he has free time to blog again. Yay! He's the employee for a gangster, sort of link to your left.

    Slothy also came back, which makes me super happy. Cuz she's awesome.
    Vader also posted a little, and I'm sure once Colorado Springs settles down some, she'll be back on with a vengance.

    Rob over at Clublife, also came back renewed and refreshed from his blogging sabbatical, which is great. And he's actually having post ideas pop into his head, which he said hadn't happened in a while cuz he felt so burnt out. Yay!

    So a big WELCOME BACK! and WE MISSED YOU! to those gals and guys.

    I like the friends I have now, but I feel like I need some diversity. I've never had a Jewish friend and I've never had a lesbian friend. But I think I want the lesbian friend most of all. Basically it is because I have been watching "The L Word" on Showtime and want to know how accurate of a portrayal it is. Obviously all lesbians are not super hot and super skinny people, but their interactions, attitudes and actions are very interesting.

    I'm very intrigued by LGBT culture, but have no access to it except for the mass media. And somehow I don't think Queer Eye for the Straight Guy is a healthy portrayal of gay culture. So I think I'm going to try and expand my horizons somewhat and go read some books by gay authors and maybe a gay culture book or something along those lines.

    I came upon this train of thought by trying to come up with suggestions about what book to read next in the Bloggerland Book Club. And I can't wait to discuss "The Photograph". Why didn't Kath tell anyone besides Mary about her miscarriages? Why did she kill herself? Should Glyn have just left well enough alone and not wanted answers? Why did Kath marry Glyn? Why did Nick suddenly want Kath? So many whys.

    But train of thought, in college I had to take a class that was basically literature and history mixed into one class and the teachers had the leeway to make it whatever they wanted. My professor was a Quaker feminist and she had us read books by mostly minority and women authors. I remember reading one book about the ritual circumcision of women in Africa and how the main character overcame this and blossomed into a beautiful, strong, healthy women.

    So if anyone has any suggestions for books or authors that you think I or the book club should read, please let me know.

    I remember Vader doing a post on strong women, think I'll go archiving and try and dig that up.

    |

    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    NORML

    View Products
    Freedom is NORML

    Google
    Search WWW Search silonius.blogspot.com
    Who Links Here