Thursday, November 11, 2004

 

Brothels

On Vader's suggestion, I'm reading a book written by Alexa Albert. It's called Brothel and is about her doing some graduate research on condom use and breakage at the infamous Mustang Ranch in NV, where prostitution is legal and regulated. But she turns her research into a social study also, interacting with the women and learning from them. I'm about half way through. It's very interesting, but I've always been interested in the fringes of society. I'll post more on it later once I'm done.

One thing that struck me as odd is that alot of the women still have pimps. They split their earnings 50/50 with the brothel and then give their money to a pimp. Still not sure why, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Alexa states that the traditional role of the pimp, protection and finding johns, is played by the brothel but that some women still have pimps. I'll let you know if she comes to a conclusion on why she thinks this is. I don't have enough of a pschology background to even venture a guess as to why that is.

I do believe that prostitution should be regulated. It is going to happen so we might as well make sure that they're healthy and clean. And it is much safer. I'm sure the Green River Killer wouldn't have has as many targets if those streetwalkers in Washington lived and worked in a brothel. Or the ones that keep getting killed in Oklahoma, I think, by truckers. So sad.

But why should we care about those girls? Well then, why should we care about anyone we're not related to?

On a completely separate note: I know that I'm not supposed to end sentences in a preposition, but I don't think I ever learned how to fix it, and now I'm stuck with it. Unless someone can learn me right.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

NORML

View Products
Freedom is NORML

Google
Search WWW Search silonius.blogspot.com
Who Links Here