Friday, October 29, 2004

 

My legs are about to pop

I took Joan's car to the shop this morning. The brakes are grinding in the back and it sounds terrible. I tried to get the drum off of the back with no success. It's on there pretty tight. And of course my shop manuals say, "It should fall right off." Morons.

So I get up at 7:20 am and Joan goes to work at the same time. But today she didn't go in until 7:45 am. I suggested that I drive her car to the shop and then she would drop me off at home on her way to work. Sounds good to me. But she says that she thought we could do that at lunch time. I'd rather have it there when they open up so they can go ahead and start working on it. After all, the '92 Tercel with 1.5L of Toyota fury is by far the most fuel efficient car in the family stable right now. And the car that Joan should be driving to work, 25 minutes away, and to school, 45 minutes away, but instead she has been driving the Focus which is the least fuel effiecient ride we own. Yes compared to Ferraris, Hummers, and most trucks, it gets great gas mileage but 22-27 can't compare to Tercel's 35-40. Not even close.

So I take it upon myself to take the car to the shop and then ride a borrowed bike to work. I picked up the bike last Sat. with the intention of riding it to work on Saturdays, aka Game Day aka Day when you can't park within 2 miles of the stadium (a block from the Chemistry building) or you have to get there at least 3.5 hours before game time cuz that's when the myriad state troopers start directing traffic and take that job SERIOUSLY. If you don't have a designated parking pass, you're not getting by them. Period. But I watched SuperSize Me at a friend's house instead of going to work. And Sloth, it was highly disturbing. The supersized puking was awesome. But what do you really expect going from a partially Vegan diet, arguably one of the world's healthiest, to a fat and chemical laden McDiet? (SuperSize Me is the documentary about the guy who at McD's food for 30 days straight. Very interesting)

So back to Tercel. I pull the massive subwoofer box out of Tercel's trunk (thanks future father-in-law, just what Joan needed a $1400 sound system in a $1000 car, but man that system can bump, 2 10"s dontcha know) and replace it with a bicycle. Hanging half out the trunk. So I get some rope, tie that trunk down so I can see, and away I go. No biggie, actually didn't hear the brakes grind, but I still want them to get off that rear drum brake. I arrive at Pressley's Auto Service, finest auto shop around, honest, fast and not too expensive. Hop out and see that the bike is hanging even farther out. Oops but hey it isn't my bike, and it didn't fall out so it's ok. Go inside, give them the key, tell them what's going on, and hop on the bike and leave. I haven't ridden a bike since that summer in Germany. I miss it really, reminds me of high school and middle school or the time before I owned a car. But holy shit my legs just stopped burning. I'm out of shape, but I'm working on it. A little, I'll start more after this test and my seminar. And I really miss being able to break traffic laws while on a bike. I was running red lights, jumping curves, riding in oncoming lanes. It felt great. Also cut in front of a delivery truck at an intersection while his light turned green. He fake accelerated at me, but I was confident that his 6,000 lbs couldn't accelerate fast enough to hit me, and he didn't try it anyway. I think he was just teaching me a lesson, which I enjoy doing also, but only in Saturn. She's the warrior and is willing to die to teach someone not to run that redlight. But that is a rant for another time.

Thus ends the tale of my first bike ride to school in a very long time.

Now for some interesting internet information:
David Hasselhoff pleads no contest to DUI. What would Germany think?
I really love Norm MacDonald's "Why Germans love David Hasselhoff" observations. Cuz they do, and it's so weird. I love him because of Knight Rider and he was on Baywatch. But call a cab next time Michael. Or just call Kit.

Kids prefer video games to TV
This is an article in conjuction to my video game post the other day. Jenn, I really respect you for not letting your kids play video games. I'm always amazed at people who don't watch TV or play video games. I can't imagine all the extra time I would have. And no mass media would influence my mind. Just books and nature and friends and family. Sounds pretty good.

But I'm hooked on the ElectroCrack already, and I fear there is no end to my addiction.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

NORML

View Products
Freedom is NORML

Google
Search WWW Search silonius.blogspot.com
Who Links Here