Tuesday, September 14, 2004

 

Twosday

I got a quiz today in my Solid State Chemistry class. Huh?, you say, what's that Seth? Good question. It's basically all about crystals and how they form and the structures, molecular, they form and how they are used. Very cool stuff. You know that rock on your hand you think is a diamond? Just zirconia, cubic structure, but oh so sparkly and shiny. What's so freakin special about diamond anyway? It's just charcoal that sat around under pressure and high temperature. It's hard, yes, but for wearing, zirconia would still put a nice dent in a head. And it's ridiculously cheap. Just a thought.

But basically all precious gems are crystals of one form or another with a few elements and pressure and temperature and time. It's kinda dissapointing actually. That huge sapphire, my birthstone, is just some aluminum and oxygen and a very small amount of other stuff, and that's it.

But they're so pretty. Crystals are also used for lasers, i.e, tattoo removal (who would do such a thing? and I hear it hurts worse than an actual tattoo. So think before you ink, wow I just created a new budget slush fund for the government, The Office of Ink Knowledge and Safety) laser eye surgery, and many others.

And I have to present in group meeting tomorrow, probably, if we have it. Our boss definitely is NOT a "look over your shoulder, in lab all day" boss. Which fucking rocks. Sure I get a little less work done than without the whip, but my morale is sky-high, so that when I do need to put in some crazy hours, I don't mind.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

NORML

View Products
Freedom is NORML

Google
Search WWW Search silonius.blogspot.com
Who Links Here